Open positions are posted on the Student Employment job board, found in MyUNIverse under the Student Employment tab online job board. The following are student job types and areas available with RS.
- Certification Classes
- Fitness & Leisure Classes
- Intramural Sports
- Outdoor Recreation
- Personal Training
- RS Administration
We encourage all current student employees and new applicants to apply for a work study award when filing their FAFSA each year. Funding to support our budget is of great importance to the Wellness and Recreation Services Department.
A certain portion of our budget is dependent upon work study funding. The way we receive this is through the work study funds awarded to students. To maintain this balance, we hire a predetermined number of students who have work study awards before we able to hire students without this funding.
So please file your FAFSA and always check that you are interested in work study! You may complete or renew a FAFSA online.
Applications are accepted throughout the year. Once submitted to our office (WRC 101), they are placed in a notebook and retained until March 1st.
On March 1st all applications are removed and we begin gathering new ones for the upcoming year. The majority of hiring will occur between spring break and July 1st. Hiring is ongoing as the need demands.Applications may be downloaded, completed, and returned with requested documentation attached to:
University of Northern Iowa
ATTN: Student Employment
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0201
Student Job Descriptions
Aquatic Fitness Instructor
Prepare and lead participants through safe and effective exercise sessions.Related Area(s)
- Must complete the UNI Fitness Instructor Training program.
- Current certifications in Lifeguard Training and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- Commitment of at least 3 semesters of employment following completion of training.
Provide a safe environment where patrons can recreate and enjoy leisure activities. Ensure proper use of the facilities and respond appropriately to emergency situations.Related Area(s)
- Lifeguard Training, First Aid and CPR certifications required.
- Water Safety Instruction (WSI) Certifications preferred.
Swimming Lesson Instructor
Teach American Red Cross Level 1-6 standard swim lessons. Instructor must possess the ability to work with a diverse group of participants and create a non-threatening environment that fosters learning.Related Area(s)
CPR / First Aid Instructor
Lead participants through the American Red Cross CPR and First Aid program. Instructor will teach participants the knowledge and skills necessary to safely react in an emergency situation.Related Area(s)
- An employment commitment of at least 2 semesters.
- American Red Cross Community CPR Instructor
- CPR Instructor
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid Instructor
Life-guarding Instructor (for Red Cross life-guarding certification classes)
Lead participants through the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Community Water Safety, and/or CPR for the Professional Rescuer training program. Instructor will teach prospective lifeguards the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies.Related Area(s)
- Minimum of one summer previous experience as a lifeguard.
- Commitment of at least 2 Spring semesters.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor
- First Aid Instructor
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer Instructor
Fitness & Leisure Classes
(Land Aerobics, Strength Conditioning, Circuit Weight, Kickboxing Instruction, Indoor Cycling, Mind-Body Spirit, Pilates)
Prepare and lead participants through safe and effective exercise sessions.
- Successful completion of the UNI Fitness Instructor training program.
- Current CPR certification.
- Commitment of at least 3 semesters following completion of training
Specialty Program Instructor
(golf, tennis, ballroom dance, yoga, tap dance, running / jogging, biking)
Plans, organizes and conducts recreational activities for a safe, effective teaching environment. Instructor will create a non-threatening environment that fosters learning.
- The ability to adapt teaching approaches to the experience and ability level of participants. Competent skill level for designated activity.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of participants.
Weight Room / Fitness Area Supervisor
Check and scan ID's for patrons wanting to enter the facility. Monitor informal recreation and fitness activities held within the weight room and fitness areas. Educate patrons regarding policies, procedures and proper equipment use. Provide general care and maintenance of weight room and fitness areas.Related Area(s)
Intramural Sports Official
Officiate seasonal intramural team sports. Opportunities include: softball, flag football, volleyball (6 on 6, 4 on 4), and basketball. Additional opportunities with individual, dual and one-day tournaments are available. Interest in/knowledge of game rules.Related Area(s)
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and respond assertively when required. Training clinics provided.
Intramural Sports Supervisor
Supervise team sport contests, individual/dual sports, weekend and one-day tournaments and meets. Assist with officials' clinics, distribution and return of contest equipment. Keep status information on officials, supply score sheets and monitor their completion. Help determine league qualifiers for post- season tournament, attend post-season report session, distribute promotional material and attend managers'/officials' meeting.Related Area(s)
UNI Outdoors Climbing Wall Supervisor
Works with UNI Outdoor Coordinator and/or Program Assistant in managing all areas of the UNI Climbing Wall. The climbing wall supervisor is responsible for equipment, inventory, and all paperwork related to the climbing wall. Must be safety conscious, dependable, and possess good customer service skills. Must be willing to follow and enforce all climbing wall policies and procedures.Related Area(s)
- Must have current UNI belay certification and be willing to work weekends, after hours, and holidays.
UNI Outdoors Equipment Room Supervisor
Works with UNI Outdoor Coordinator and/or Program Assistant in managing all areas of the UNI Outdoors office and equipment room. Assists patrons in reserving/renting outdoor equipment and registers patrons for trips and clinics. The Equipment Room Supervisor is also responsible for inspecting outdoor rental equipment, caring for and performing minor repairs, and providing general outdoor recreation information. Must possess good customer service skills.Related Area(s)
UNI Outdoors Program Assistant
Works with UNI Outdoor Coordinator in managing all areas of the entire UNI Outdoors Program. Must be dependable, responsible, and possess a solid knowledge of each area of the UNI Outdoors Program. The UNI Outdoors Program Assistant is to perform all duties in the absence of the UNI Outdoors Coordinator.Related Area(s)
- Must have a flexible schedule and good people skills.
Works with UNI Outdoor Coordinator and/or Program Assistant in managing all areas of the UNI trips/clinics program.Related Area(s)
- Must have CPR and First Aid Certification and be able to pass the requirements needed to drive the university van.
- Must be responsible, demonstrate good judgment, safety conscious, and be willing to develop outdoor recreation skills (hard/soft).
- Must be able to prepare trip information packets, conduct pre-trip meetings and workshops, and promote all aspects of UNI Outdoors. Trip coordinator must possess good intra-personal skills, and be able to work with all demographics of people.
- Must be willing to obtain a Wilderness First Responder Certification.
Student Web Designer
Duties may include any or all of the following: Maintain, edit, and develop new components of the RS website. Assist with daily management of department computer software such as gate entry, scheduling, and point-of-sale programs. Position requires intermediate to advanced computer skills related to the described job responsibilities.
Student Graphic Designer
Design and develop various promotional and educational materials such as table tents, newsletters, and flyers. Must have excellent communication skills, be able to work on many projects at one time, work under deadlines, and collaborate with multiple RS program coordinators. Position requires intermediate to advanced skills using Adobe Creative Cloud apps related to the described job responsibilities.
Student Office Assistant
Duties include word processing, filing and data processing. Function as a receptionist and assist coordinators with office projects as needed. Must be courteous, have excellent phone skills, basic computer skills, and the ability to organize a number of tasks.
Welcome Desk Supervisor
Check and scan ID's for patrons wanting to enter the facility. Provide accurate information to customers and visitors, manage traffic through control points, provide supplies/equipment check-out, sales and rental.Requirements
- Assertive communication and basic computer skills.
- Recall and provide program/building information.
- Have the ability to organize and manage a number of tasks.
(WRC) Student Facility Manager
Assigned to oversee overall operation and management of the WRC in the absence of professional staff. Duties include evening and weekend work. Ensure student staff are present at assigned activity areas (gyms, pools, fitness areas, climbing wall, etc...) and control points. Trouble shoot problems, respond to personal or facility emergencies, provide facility information, and act as facility manager for special event activities as scheduled.Requirements
- 2 years experience in a Campus Recreation/Wellness Promotion leadership role.
- Junior, Senior or graduate student standing.
Assist participants in planning, developing and implementing an independent exercise program. Help clients set realistic goals and educate them regarding a safe and effective fitness routine. Personal Trainer will work one-on-one with a participant or in small groups.Related Area(s)
- Certifications (First Aid & CPR)
- Completion of the UNI Wellness and Recreational Services Personal Training Instructor Training program.
- Previous coursework in Anatomy, Exercise Physiology and Fitness Assessment preferred.
- Employment commitment of at least 2 semesters following completion of training.