Position Title: Graduate Assistant for the Outdoor Recreation Program
Reports to: Andrew Martin, Outdoor Recreation Coordinator; (319) 273-7164; Recreation Services, WRC 101, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa, 50614-0201
Terms of Employment:
- For the fall semester: 20 hours per week, beginning August 17, 2020 and ending December 4, 2020. Does not include the week of Thanksgiving Break.
- For the spring semester: 20 hours per week, beginning January 11, 2021 and ending May 7, 2021. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
- Full assistantship salary for 2020 - 2021 will be $5,395 per semester
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees
- Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semesters
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures: https://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships/
- Trip, Clinics, and Activities Program
- Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First-Aid Certified preferred or willing to obtain before start date
- Good driving record
- University 15 passenger van certification training within 1 month after start date
- Assist with coordinating and implementation of UNI Outdoors trips and field clinics. Trips include, but are not limited to, rafting, kayaking, backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, caving, canoeing, and skiing. Clinic topics include, but are not limited to belay, lead belay, kayak rolling, trip planning, and backcountry cooking.
- Assist with the hiring and training of UNI Outdoors Trip Coordinators
- Manage Trip Coordinator Development Training Program.
- Assist with the development and implementation of campus-wide trip promotion through emails, website, and fliers.
- Coordinate outdoor youth camp
- Perform other duties assigned.
- Equipment Rental Program
- Assist with management of the Outdoor Recreation equipment room including large reservations such as canoes, trailers. etc.
- Inventory, repair, and maintenance of UNI Outdoors equipment, such as tents, canoes, kayaks, stoves, etc.
- Keep an accurate record of all equipment.
- Assist with interviews, hire, train, and scheduling of UNI Equipment Rental employees.
- Manage rental of gear for individual and class use.
- Assist in providing bike maintenance for patrons.
- Climbing Wall Program
- Assist with the interview, hire, train, and scheduling of UNI Climbing Wall employees.
- Assist in the general operations of the climbing wall.
- Assist with scheduling all climbing wall special events.
- Coordinate and instruct belay and lead climbing clinics.
- Maintain climbing wall participation records.
- Manage and organize inventory of climbing wall closet.
- Assist with the inspection and maintenance of the climbing wall, including routes, holds, and general wall structure.
- Coordinate and manage annual climbing competition.
- Must be a full-time, degree seeking student in a UNI graduate program (e.g., Postsecondary Education: Student Affairs; Health Promotion, Leisure/Recreation or other closely related field preferred)
- Must be enrolled in 9 graduate credits each semester of assistantship.
- Maintain a UNI cumulative GPA of at least 3.00. A newly admitted graduate student must have at least a 3.00 GPA for undergraduate or previous graduate work of at least 8 graded credit hours
- Experience assisting with program planning, marketing and implementation
- Possess strong interpersonal and organization skills
- Demonstrate evidence of competent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and to conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- B.A. in Leisure Services, Recreation, or related field required
Application Process and Deadline: To apply, email the completed Application Form for Graduate Assistantship (available at http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships), a letter of application, resume, and email addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) references to: Timothy Klatt, Associate Director/Recreation, email@example.com.
Applications received by April 30, 2020 will be given preferential consideration.
View Assistantship Position as a PDF