Recreation Services

Welcome Week Group Zumba
Aquatics certification training
Sport club rugby
Youth camp playing basketball
Student worker
Tae Kwon-Do
Personal training indoor track
Fitness aerobics class
Outdoor recreation hiking trip
Intramural dodgeball
Intramural basketball
Personal training rowing machine
Belaying a rock climber
Aquatics paddling panthers

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the WRC, Health Beat, recreational fields, and RS office located?

Recreation Services administration and most programs are located within the Wellness & Recreation Center (WRC), located at 2301 Hudson Road just north of the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

The West Play Fields & West Campus Complex are located west of the WRC along 27th Street.

The Health Beat satellite fitness facility is located in Maucker Union in central campus.

University Map

Do I need to show my UNI ID card to use the Health Beat or WRC recreation/fitness areas?

A valid University of Northern Iowa photo ID card is required to access either the UNI Wellness & Recreation Center or Health Beat in Maucker Union.

A “valid” ID is defined as one belonging to a currently enrolled student or other paid user. A valid UNI ID card must also be presented to contest officials for participation in Intramural events. UNI ID cards may be secured at the Department of Residence Redeker Center office.

There is a $25 charge, per card, for non-university individuals and students requiring replacement of a lost card. UNI ID cards are non-transferable. Misuse of a UNI ID card may subject the cardholder and/or violator to a loss of facility privileges.

Can I bring family members with me at no charge during Family Hours in the WRC?

UNI employees, employee spouse, alumni, and alumni spouse, who have an active WRC annual membership, may purchase an annual Family Pass (free for current UNI students) that would allow their spouses and dependents access to the WRC during designated Family Hours. Family members must be accompanied by the annual WRC member.

You may purchase a day pass at the Welcome Desk (by check, payroll deduction, or U-Bill charge) for up to four guests beyond your tax dependent family members at $8.00 each.

If your family wants to sponsor a larger group of guests (such as your child’s friends or a family gathering) contact or call (319) 273-4768.

Tax dependent family members include:

  • For Faculty/Staff/Alumni: your spouse and tax dependent children
  • For Traditional Students: your parents and other tax dependent siblings in your family
  • For Non-Traditional students: your spouse and tax dependent children
  • For Retirees: your spouse
  • Special Family Circumstances: If you have a special family circumstance (such as a non-married life partner, an adult dependent child living with you, or a dependent parent living with you), contact Tim Klatt, (319) 273-7120, to arrange accommodation of your request
Can I purchase towel service in the WRC or Health Beat?

Towel service can be purchased through Recreation Services at the RS office (WRC 101), the WRC Welcome Desk and at Health Beat in Maucker Union, for the following prices:

  • $30.00/year
  • $15.00/semester
  • $10.00/summer

Faculty, staff and students can register for the towel service online. Online registration will result in payroll deduction for faculty/staff and ubill charge for students. Payment at the WRC Welcome Desk can be made by ubill charge, payroll deduction, or check. Payment at the Health Beat can be made by ubill charge or payroll deduction.

Can I purchase locker service in the WRC or Health Beat?

WRC locker service is available through the School of kinesiology, Allied Health and Human Services at the HPELS equipment room, WRC 158. For equipment room hours and/or cost of service, please call (319) 273-2488.

Health Beat locker service is available through RS at the Health Beat in Maucker Union. Registration and payment must be made at the Health Beat by ubill charge or payroll deduction.

Does RS have indoor and outdoor recreation equipment available for check-out, rent, or sale?

Indoor sports equipment, such as basketballs, volleyballs, racquetball/tennis racquets and table tennis can be checked out, with a UID card, at the main WRC Welcome Desk.

There is also equipment available for purchase which includes but is not limited to racquetballs, swim goggles, and racquetball racquets. If you do not find what you are looking for, suggestions are always welcome. Contact us at

Outdoor recreation equipment, such as in-line skates, camping gear, canoes, kayaks, snowshoes and cross country skis, and more is available to rent through the Outdoor Recreation Office, WRC 174, (319) 273-7163.

How do I make reservations for a WRC Racquetball Court?

Racquetball court reservations may be made in person at the WRC Welcome Desk or by calling the Welcome Desk at (319) 273-2413. Reservations are for one (1) hour and cannot be made more than 24 hours in advance.

How can I check on an item I lost while participating in a RS activity?

Check for lost items at the Welcome Desk inside the WRC east main entrance during regular WRC hours. Items found are retained for only a limited period of time. If you have lost an expensive item on campus, the Office of Public Safety may also be contacted, (319) 273-2712.

If I attend another college, but am in Cedar Falls for summers or interim periods, can I use the WRC?

Students of other colleges, in town during UNI interim periods, may purchase guest passes for Thanksgiving break, semester break, spring break, and/or summer at our 1, 2, 3, or 4-week guest rates or summer alumni rate. These students must present, at the RS office, a photo ID and a printed copy of their college class schedule for the current semester (if during Thanksgiving or spring break) or previous semester (if semester or summer break). Upon payment (check or cash) and completion of the waiver, they will be given a dated yellow-pass card to show with a photo ID at the Welcome Desk.


If there is an accommodation you need in order to participate in a RS program or activity, please contact WRC 101 at (319) 273-6275.


Human Dignity

We believe that all people, regardless of their differences, should treat each other with mutual respect and dignity. Diversity and individual rights will be honored and respected.