It is important that Recreation Services provides an environment, programs, and services that are welcoming and as accommodating as possible for all of our patrons. If you are in need of an accommodation for a Recreation program, special event, presentation, or activity, please contact our Recreation office, (319) 273-6275, or email Tim Klatt.
Following are examples of particular Wellness/Recreation Center features and staff initiatives that provide accommodations to unique needs of patrons.
Wellness/Recreation Center Pools
- Pool lifts for leisure and lap pools and spa
- Zero depth entry into the leisure pool (gradual sloping entrance rather than steps)
- Warm water temperature in the leisure pool
- Push button doors to the family changing room, main Recreation office, and Wellness Lab
- Emergency system with accommodations for sight and persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have visual impairments
- Accessible restrooms for physical disabilities
- Wide hallways with tile color for barriers
- Push button entrances at three of the five main entrances
- Fully accessible family changing room/ single occupancy locker room
- Shower bench seats in four locker rooms
- Evacuation chair for use in emergencies when elevators are not functioning
All of the on-site locations for UNI Intramurals are wheelchair accessible, including:
- The 2nd floor courts
- There is large elevator just south of the courts. On the 1st floor, it is located across hall from the intramural office (room 161)
- The football/softball fields (west of the UNI-Dome and McLeod Center)
- There are accessible parking spaces in the B-Lot adjacent to the fields
- A wheelchair accessible ramp is located in the Northeast corner of the B-Lot. From there, a person in a wheelchair can access any one of the fields.
If a person with a physical disability would like to participate, we welcome him/her to do so, as long as necessary mobility equipment does not pose a hazard to participants, as determined by the Intramural Staff. This will vary by sport, and we will consider each on a case-by-case basis.
Wellness/Recreation Center and Health Beat Fitness Areas
- Braille available for all the weight equipment in all three areas
- Braille posted on several pieces of cardiovascular equipment
- Four cable cross overs, which accommodate use by persons in wheel chairs
- Several pieces of the weight equipment with seats are removable to accommodate a person in a wheel chair
- Two arm ergometer.
Fitness and Leisure Program
- Fitness weight bench in each aerobic studio for those who need assistance getting up and down on floor or who need extra stability
Flotation belts, life jackets, and barbells in the leisure pool to help individuals with balance and stability in the water